SCREEN-L Archives

December 2000, Week 3

From:
Peter Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:04:45 EST
Popular Culture at the AHA meeting in Boston,
        the night of 6 January

Preliminary note:
Each year, PCA has a session at the annual meeting
of the American Historical Association and this year
is no exception.  In a tribute to the SPORTS-minded
of the profession, we have the following panel planned.
(See page 61 of the official program.)  Many popular
culture enthusiasts--esp. those in the New England
Area--will recognize the name of Judy Hakola; she is
a past-President of our regional association and
one of the nicest people we know...People from the
Southwest may recognize  Harris J. Elder, a former
Director of the OSU Filmathon for many years and
a Bartlesville, Oklahoma native..and now a New England
Yankee.

The session below on the Red Sox and Fenway Park
should be a wonderful and recreative experience for
those at AHA and local folks.  Registration is not
required for this evening session.

______________________________________

Title: The Boston Red Sox: Myths and Legends of a
        Storied Team.

Place: Sheraton Boston, Constitution Ballroom B
    (2nd floor),  beginning at 5:30pm on Saturday, 6 January.

Chair:  Harris J. Elder, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts

Fenway: A Lyric Little Bandbox of a Ballpark

       Paul J. Lazarovich, Wentworth Institute of Technology

Ted Williams in Literature and Lore: The Quintessential
    Sports Hero?

        Judy Hakola, University of Maine at Orono

For a Glimpse of Green: the Ballpark, the Pastoral Ideal, and
    the American City.

       Scott Raphael Schiamberg, Massachusetts
        Institute of Technology and Goody, Clancy & Associates,
        Boston.

(Visit Booth 109 of the Book Display during the Annual Meeting for a roster
of additional participants.)

Have fun at this session!

Peter Rollins

Peter C. Rollins
Director of Development
National Popular Culture Association and American Culture Association
    (National meeting in Philadelphia, April 11-14, 20001)
    Web site has program: http://h-net.msu.edu/~pcaaca
Popular Culture Center
Rt  3  Box  80
Cleveland,  Oklahoma    74020