SCREEN-L Archives

March 2007, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Michelle Langford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:04:35 +1100
School of English, Media and Performing Arts Seminar Series
5pm Wednesday 28th March, Rm 327, level 3 Webster Building, UNSW

  The City as Narrator?
Transformations of the Metropolitan Narrative in
Weimar Germany and Beyond

Prof. Klaus R. Scherpe, Humboldt University, Berlin

Abstract:
In this seminar I want to address the ‘narrativity’ of cities in the
discourse of modernity (not modernism at large) that was constituted
in Germany in a distinct way. My discussion will consider the re-
perceptions of the metropolis in the scripts of Kracauer, Doeblin,
Moholy-Nagy and others. I will examine changes in symbolic speech and
imaginary expansions of time and space and link the modernist problem
of narrating the city to present day techniques—techniques that push
beyond the limits of a classical Anglo-European discourse of modernity.

All Welcome!

Professor Scherpe's visit has been supported by the German Academic
Exchange Service (DAAD) and by the Faculty of Arts and Social
Sciences, UNSW.

Seminar Conveners: A/Prof George Kouvaros & Dr Michelle Langford

If you wish to be removed from this mailing list please email

Dr Michelle Langford
Associate Lecturer
School of English, Media and Performing Arts
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052 Australia
Room: Webster 311O
Phone: + 61 2 9385 4489