SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Robspiere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:32:27 EST
In addition to Danny Elfman's largely successful career as the lead singer and
composer for the band originally titled The Magical Knights of Oingo Boingo
(later shortened to Oingo Boingo, and then briefly before they broke up,
Boingo), and in addition to his more popular film and television scoring
career (which includes Batman, Beetlejuice, Darkman, The Simpsons, Big Top Pee
Wee, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Nightbreed, Tales From The Crypt, Scooged,
Edward Scissorhands, Dolores Claiborne, To Die For, Mission Possible,
Sommersby, Dead Presidents, Amazing Stories, and The Flash, <whew>, Elfman
composed and sung the lead role of Jack Skellington in Tim Burton's The
Nightmare Before Christmas (the spoken part of the role was performed by an
actor whose name escaped me).

I think that perhaps I might overuse run-on sentences.

Rob

In a message dated 98-03-09 10:55:32 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Scott Hutchins wrote:
>
>  > It seems there is to be a film of _American Psycho_, with music by Danny
>  > Elfman.  I wonder if they'll have him sing "Insanity" for commercial
>  > reasons.  I shouldn't say that:  were I to film my third novel (not
>  > currently finished), I would want to use the song in the film for
artistic
>  > reasons.
>
>  I think Elfman is one of the better composers for film now working (witness
> his
>  work with Tim Burton), but I didn't know he also sings--is this true? And
> who
>  is to direct--maybe David Cronenberg? Difficult to conceive of this project
> on
>  screen, without serious toning down of the violence.
>
>  Jim Marsden/Bryant College

University of Alabama.