SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 5

From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:47:57 -0500
Randy Riddle's letter about waiting for a dilapidated theatre in a small
town for seeing THE LAST PICTURE SHOW touches me deeply, and is
saddening, because the deep point of the film is that Randy and the rest
of us are going to have to wait a very long time and look very hard.  I
don't to simply wax nostalgic about old theatres and the old world, but
films were grander then.  I will never forget the gigantic turquoise of
the sea in BOY ON A DOLPHIN in the popcorn flavored darkness of the
Tivoli theater in Hamilton, Ontario in the mid 1950s.