SCREEN-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Brian Taves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 08:55:39 -0400
I would like to invite list subscribers who will be at the SCS conference
in Ottowa to join a workshop on genre studies during the lunch hour on
Friday, May 16.  Entitled "Toward a Comprehensive Genre Taxonomy," the
workshop will feature discussion of the proposed Moving Image Genre-Form
guide developed by a special committee in the Motion
Picture/Broadcasting/Recorded Sound Division of the Library of Congress.

For the first time, this guide uses film studies methodologies to fully
define and exemplify genre and form terms (some 150 in all), in the effort
to produce a standardized guide that will cover all such categories.
Speakers commenting on the project will include:

* Barry Grant, Brock University

* Rick Jewell, University of Southern California

* Maureen Furniss, Chapman University

As editor and coauthor of the guide, I will be chairing the workshop and
introducing the project. The main purpose of the workshop is to solicit
the reactions of SCS members to the project, and a large portion of
discussion time is planned.

The 70 page guide is located on Jeremy Butler's Screensite, at
http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite/res/bib/migenre.htm, or I can email a copy
to anyone interested.

Hope to see you there.

Brian Taves
Motion Picture/Broadcasting/Recorded Sound Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C.  20540-4699
202-707-9930
202-707-2371 (fax)
Internet:  [log in to unmask]

Disclaimer--All opinions expressed are my own.

University of Alabama.