SCREEN-L Archives

June 2017, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2017 18:06:43 -0700
Sender:
From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Screen L participants,

I’m writing to mention some new work in audiovisual studies, and request
leads for materials.

Audiovisual studies appear to be expanding (the American Musicological
Association <http://www.ams-net.org/> just added an interest group on the
topic, for example). Music-video scholarship too may be undergoing a
resurgence. Rutgers U Press recently published Steve Shaviro’s Digital
Music Videos
<https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Music-Videos-Quick-Takes/dp/0813579538/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497920408&sr=8-5&keywords=Shaviro>
(and I think would be happy to see receive some reviews). Bloomsbury's
collection Music/Video
<http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/musicvideo-9781501313929/> will be available
this August. Holly Rogers, Lisa Perrott, and and I are editing a series for
Bloomsbury called New Approaches to Sound, Music, and Media. My
article "Beyoncé’s
Overwhelming Opus; or, the Past and Future of Music Video,"
<http://quod.lib.umich.edu/f/fc/13761232.0041.105?view=text;rgn=main> in
Film Criticism, attempts to sketch the history of the genre.

I’m contributing a chapter on fake news and audiovisual media for a
forthcoming collection. I'd be grateful if you'd forward any links,
particularly to politically-engaged work. James Buhler and I are assembling
a collection on cyberfilms, biometrics, big data, and AI. If you’re
interested in participating, especially using quantitative approaches,
please send me a note of interest.

Best wishes,

Carol

Carol Vernallis, Ph.D.