SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 91 08:10:52 EDT
Steve--
I read with interest your posting on anti-Semitism and racism. I would
like more information on your forthcoming pamphlet and would also like
to share with you an unfortunate incident that happened this weekend in
Raleigh, our capital city approximately 30 miles east of Chapel Hill.

There was a memorial to the Holocaust victims and survival held (I believe)
at a Hilton Hotel in downtown Raleigh. One of the first attendees to
return to his car found two anti-Semitic flyers on his windshield, the
product of the group that believes that the Holocaust never happened and
that the Nazi death camps did not exist. The execrable material was on
most if not all of the car windshields in the parking garage.

I mention this to remind those who believe that we, in a _kinder, gentler
America_ should not get too upset over episodes that, whether we call them
anti-Semitic or racist, evolve pure and undiluted from hatred, fear, and
ignorance: the isms we may not all agree on, but upon their source, we
should be able to unite with the common goal of eradication through
education and vigilant awareness and monitoring of such hate groups.

Best,

James Barnes
Technical Editor/Writer
Office of Information Technology