SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 1

From:
Julia Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julia Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:22:24 +0100
Lang wrote:

>I received an e-mail from Showcase (Canadian cable channel) who says
>they're showing the North American release version which means Canada got
>the same (slightly) re-dubbed version the US did.  Admittedly, this is
>pretty minor, even benign, tampering especially considering what Miramax is
>capable of doing but it's somewhat amusing that they didn't change the
>slang term very few Americans understand: the title.

According to a source of mine there were indeed calls to completely re-dub
the film *Trainspotting* for its American release, however a compromise was
reached in which it was agreed for English subtitles to be added to the
film.

It is not uncommon for British actors to have a clause in their contract
which prohibits their voices being totally re-dubbed for exhibition within
English speaking countries......a small percentage of re-dubbing for
replacing slang words or swearing remains acceptable....... I'm not sure if
that was the case with *Trainspotting*....however it is a possibility.

I can vaguely remember reading somewhere of a director who cast an actor in
a film that he was making without auditioning him. He had seen him in
another film and thought that he was perfect for the role. This turned out
to be a big mistake as the actor's voice was terrible, he had been
completely re-dubbed in the previous film. ;-))

Julia

Julia C. Rice
U.W.C.N. UK