SCREEN-L Archives

May 2000, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 14:34:44 -0500
Cheryl Herr requests:

> I'd be awfully grateful if folks on the list would send me the names of
> their favorite smuggling films -- any era, any country of origin.  I've
> been collecting British and Irish titles for some time and would like to
> put the whole enterprise in international perspective.

The British Isles do seem to have a lock on this topic, don't they?
One title you probably have but that's of interest is DR. SYN, first
made with George Arliss as the cleric who smuggled by night, and the
same story done by Disney as THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH, with
Patrick McGoohan, and NIGHT CREATURES, with Peter Cushing.

Hitchcock's JAMAICA INN is one of his weaker films, but has some
moments of interest.

THE BEES, which involves an outbreak of illegal African killer bees
brought into the US, is one of my great guilty pleasures!

SECRET SERVICE OF THE AIR features Ronald Reagan as smuggler-buster
Brass Bancroft.

For movies about drug smuggling, THE FRENCH CONNECTION sets one kind of
standard.

Tarantino's JACKIE BROWN

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson