SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 15:22:00 EST
         A couple thoughts on a couple issues raised recently on this wonderful
SCREEN-L.  Not all film and video courses need to be offered for the purpose of
training professionals to work in the various industries of film and
television.
Auditory and visual imagery of  non-verbal discourse is now the primary form of
mass discourse in our civilization.  Why not teach people how (and why or why
not) to communicate in them as well as in speech and writing?  Consumer
audio-visual production instruments are now so sophisticated and (relatively)
cheap that it is quite possible to anyone who will learn the craft to achieve
quite
high levels of rhetorical effectiveness and artistic quality.  For less than the
price
of a new car, a person can put together a video production facility which is as
good as what the networks had 20 years ago.

        Everyone needs to be cinematically literate, and college film and video
courses
ought to be very nearly the (post-)modern conterpart of freshman composition.
16mm and video offer economic alternatives which can be used widely
throughout the country, and for a very wide spectrum of the population, not
just
for future professionals in an industry which some think is choking on its own
digestive juices.

On the issue of "Jargon" this thought occurs to me.  Perhaps after a little
time has passed, some of the academics and /or professionals on this list
might cooperate to create a glossary and/or a collection of informational
resources for the use of others on the list less sophisticated in some aspect
of interest to members of the list.  As a linguist and semiotician I would be
happy to contribute to such a cooperative venture.  As a tenured professor
I wouldn't even care if I got credit in the way of citation for my
contributions.
As an independent videomaker I would devour anything and everything
others on this list would be willing to teach me.

Spence