SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 14:09:43 CST
Comments:
<Parser> W: Invalid RFC822 field - "V1.1d/1.7f) with BSMTP id 2809; Wed, 9 Feb 1994 10:56:51 -0600". Rest of header flushed. Resent-From: Jeremy Butler <JBUTLER@UA1VM>
Just recently there have been several messages that LISTSERV, the
software that runs SCREEN-L, has not let through because the sender has
replied to a message and quoted lines from the header.

That is, if LISTSERV, see a line that begins with "Sender:" "From" or
"Reply-To:" in the body of the message it assumes that it is an
error message and it bounces it to me, the SCREEN-L coordinator instead
of sending it through to SCREEN-L.  (I get a notice like the one below.)

To avoid this: when quoting, delete any such lines from your message.

Besides, it's good net-etiquette to delete all but pertinent lines when
you quote.  A long quoted passage followed by a short message decreases
the likelihood that your message will be read.

The  enclosed mail  file, found  in the  SCREEN-L reader  and shown  under the
spoolid 8794  in the console log,  has been identified as  a possible delivery
error notice for the following reason: "Sender:", "From:" or "Reply-To:" field
pointing to the list has been found in mail body.

----------
          Shall I part my hair behind?  Do I dare to eat
              a peach?
          I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk
              upon the beach.
          I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
          I do not think that they will sing to me.
                                      --T. S. Eliot

| Jeremy G. Butler - - - - - - - - - - | Internet : [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                 | BITNET   :        JBUTLER@UA1VM |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |