SCREEN-L Archives

March 2005, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Virginia Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:17:08 -0500
You can also do this without burning clips onto a separate DVD. Just use
the original discs and a software program like PowerDVD, or even WinDVD
(the latter program is a little less user-friendly though).

You can use the bookmark feature to cue clips on any DVD (including
burned DVDs), and you can capture stills very easily as well. The
bookmarks are saved onto your computer, so they'll be there the next
time you use the disc.

I have had great results with this program. It works very well to play
one clip multiple times from the exact same spot for test situations. It
also allows you to set as many bookmarks as you'd like on a single DVD,
which works wonderfully during lectures and conference presentations. No
wasted time fast forwarding or rewinding--just a click of the mouse and
you can hop all over the DVD.

You can also preset a bookmark at the start of a film, so you never have
to waste lecture time while waiting for the mandatory
ads/previews/menu/etc. to finish.

(I don't know of any Mac versions of these programs, and of course you
do need to have a computer in your classroom or, preferably, your own
laptop computer with DVD drive.)

Good luck!
Dr. Virginia Bonner
Assistant Professor of Film & Media Studies
http://a-s.clayton.edu/vbonner