SCREEN-L Archives

July 1999, Week 3

From:
Alexander Kafka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:15:12 -0500
I just want to alert my fellow SCREEN-L subscribers to recent, current, and
upcoming contributions from SCS members to the Opinion/Arts section of The
Chronicle of Higher Education. We recently ran a piece by Andy Horton on
humor in Balkan cinema. Steve Vineberg has written several insightful
essays for us, the most recent on the effects of mass marketing on
film-audience expectations. In the issue that will be arriving in your
offices or libraries next week, Bob Kolker has an essay on the use of
digital technology in film scholarship. And upcoming are film-related
pieces by Alan Dershowitz and Krin Gabbard. These are just a few examples.

I shamelessly trolled the April SCS conference searching for good subjects
and good writers, and the hunt is ongoing. Unlike most film journal
articles, our film pieces are for a general academic audience and focus on
current or--better yet--upcoming releases. We don't run reviews or
profiles, but we do look for provocative trend pieces (1,000 to 1,600
words) or unconventional takes on releases everyone assumes they
understand. I hope that in your research, and just in your musings, you'll
keep our pages in mind. Feel free to contact me any time at the coordinates
below. And for those of you in interdisciplinary programs, bear us in mind,
too, for pieces on media, theater, dance, music, visual arts and other
creative endeavors, and feel free to pass this information along to your
colleagues.

Alexander C. Kafka
Assistant Editor, Opinion/Point of View
The Chronicle of Higher Education