SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 09:00:07 -0600
Kendall D'Andrade suggests:
"Perhaps there are other scenes in films where a cop character is part of a
robbery, probably almost always at a convenience store, which he stumbles
upon because he is there shopping.  I _think_ this also happens in to Harvey
Keitel's _Bad Liutenant_."

The opening of the appalling COBRA, with Stallone, includes a robbery at, I
 believe, a supermarket, rather than a convenience store.

On the other side of things, THE NIGHT OF THE COMET has the teen girl survivors
of a world disaster looking for weapons, and choosing Uzzis!

For convenience stores, there's also THELMA AND LOUISE.

If you want to extend into television, there are a lot of examples--from Lucy
and Ricky to Seinfeld, but the most interesting one might be Ruth's store
in NORTHERN EXPOSURE, which carries a remarkable range of items for the
various citizens of Cicely, Alaska.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)