SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:58:38 CST
Author:  NORMAN TAYLOR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    12/22/94 12:42 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

I teach in the UK and have been using episode 1 of My So-Called Life - a show
not [yet] aired on Brit TV - to encourage my students to think about targeting
and scheduling.  Though it had been in the can for almost a year, the season
opened with some choice hype about Clare Dane being a "Female Holden Caulfield
for the 90's" (NYT).  Having been away from US since Sept 2, I have not seen or
been aware of how the show has fared.  Now I understand from Jeremy Butler's
posting that it is in danger of going the same way as "I'll Fly Away" and
"Homefront", both of which I thought were high quality productions.

Does anyone have any opinions on how MSL has shaped up over the first season -
or indeed on the way the networks allow ratings to obliterate quality - that I
can relay to my students?

Norman Taylor
South Bristol College
UK