SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 1994 09:12:45 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask] at SMTP-LINK
Date:    12/9/94 7:32 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, not by Jeremy Butler.]

This discussion group leaves me wondering if it is really about film or
merely an expensive way to play the screen edition of trivial pursuit.
 Although I have read is the occasional technical question, most chat appears
to consist of snippets of something or other about the P.C.ness of, say,
 Pulp Fiction, a Sam Peckenpaw rip-off if I ever saw one.  This kind of talk,
(which I am now guilty of taking part in), is just the same old, recycled
dribble that people hanging outside of the editing rooms spew forth for the
mere purposes of hearing themselves.  By writing this though, I can claim to
be no better.  I would suggest, however, that if Screen-L is going to refer
to itself as a forum for discussions on film making, it should act like one.
 Where is the talk of technique, new ideas, risky approaches, careful study,
and dreams? The way it stands now, this is just ticket line trivia and back
room gossip.  Good luck.

-Darryl Fowler