SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeffrey MacIntyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:53:21 PST
My study on _Men in Black_ and the intersection of American nostalgia
and conspiracy culture continues, thanks to the many helpful notes from
several of the SCREEN-L folks. I'm particularly indebted to those who
encouraged my Jamesonian impulse, and pointed me to Justin Wyatt's very
suggestive book, _High Concept_.

Anyways, I'm looking to refresh my own embattled memory about recent
Hollywood films which have dealt with conspiratorial themes. Recent as in,
say, the last 8-10 years. However, the high concept trend I think I see
seems more the progeny of Stone's _JFK_ which --I think-- was about 1991.
So if anyone might have any film titles which simply leap to mind, let me
know: I'm also interested in the conspiratorial flirtations in the recent
spate of presidential subject films, ie _Murder at 1600_, and so on.

Please throw up any and all films that come to mind...

Thanks in advance (again),
Jeff MacIntyre

University of Alabama.