SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Darrell Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:44:56 CST
it was not shown in three hour blocks, but was split into three hourly
episodes, one per week.As for the question about a time lag between U.K and
U.S. showing, I obviously don't know which episodes are currently running
over there, but the last series ended here in either October or November 94,
culminating in a cliffhanger ending which I hope signals another series to
come! I can't speak with authority, but most people I know seemed very
impressed with the series;some of the episodes provoked outrage in the
tabloid press, a reactionary response which I personally found irritating as
it seems that any series which attempts to deal with 'controversial' sbject
matter in this country is met with this sort of backlash, when the fact is
that 'Cracker' was in many ways the best drama series on British T.V. last
year. Compared to the much praised,but frankly boring, series 'Martin
Chuzzelwit'(spelling?)(yet another 'tasteful' literary adaptation!)
'Cracker' was like a breath of fresh air, a series which didn't run true to
formula, and retained the ability to confound expectations - something which
I could illustrate by example but I would risk spoiling your viewing.
  Darrell Wilson.
  University of Glasgow.