SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

From:
hargrove edward b <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 13:56:53 -0500
On Thu, 14 Apr 1994, Frederick C.O. Wedler III wrote:

> >I too think that Man Bites Dog is a truly fascinating film.  I would like to
> >use
> >it in an intro. class, perhaps after having taught some "real" traditional
> >and non-traditional documentaries (Wiseman, maybe).  However, for the record,
> >Man Bites Dog would not be appropriate for a French film class- it's actually
> >Belgian.
> >
> >Heather Hendershot
> >
> >P.S. Man Bites Dog has barely been distributed at all in the States.
> >Does anyone know who to contact to rent it?
>
> I've seen it on the shelves at Blockbuster.

> Frederick C.O. Wedler III       |       I drank what?!
> [log in to unmask]                     |            -Socrates

I would strongly dissuade anyone from renting Man Bites Dog from
Blockbuster.  The only "choice" they offer their customers is an edited
version of the film which deletes two crucial (if not disturbing) scenes.
I remember watching that version not having seen the original and feeling
jarred at points, as though something were missing.  When I went back to
Blockbuster, I examined the box closer only to learn that a fast one had
been pulled; in tiny print it said "unrated, edited version."  I then
politely asked that my account be credited.
My point is, Blockbuster has a strong history of censorship and it tends
to carry either chopped up versions of "controversial" films or to not
carry them at all.  I'm not telling anyone not to patronize Blockbuster
(although I would highly suggest it),  but I choose not to and that is one
of the reasons why.
I know there is a Criterion laserdisc version of Man Bites Dog as well as
an unedited version on VHS.  Contact The Voyager Company
                                     One Bridge Street
                                     Irvington, NY  10533
                        (800) 446-2001  (914) 591-5500
As far as where to obtain a print of the film, I'm not sure.  You'd have
to check the credits and see who the distributor is.

Edward B Hargrove