SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:37:01 EST
I have a couple of suggestions to offer.  First, it seems there is no
consensus on whether studio permission is required to reprint
promotional stills.  If you look in scholarly books (and mass-market
film books) you will see that most writers only credit the source of
the photos (e.g., MOMA film stills archive) not the studios.

For an additional (and, at least for scholarly books) somewhat
cheaper alternative to MOMA try Photofest in New York City
(212-633-6330).  They have excellent archives and are very helpful.
I was referred to them by MOMA during the time MOMA was moving their
archives to Pennsylvania.

The web site for American Movie classics (which I think is
www.amctv.com, but check) reprints a lengthy list of "Sources for
Still Photographs, Posters and Other Film Memorabilia" provided them
by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Good luck!

Chris Ames

http://www.sa.ua.edu/screensite