SCREEN-L Archives

December 1993

From:
Brian Mangin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 23:26:21 -0600
Hello, out there

I am a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  Being relatively
new to the video/film scene, I was just wondering if anyone had any
thoughts/advice on a few subjects.

        First, though, I should introduce myself.  I am interested in video
production, specifically in the experimental/art and
documentary/educational genres, or a combination of both (I know that is
rather broad, but I have a broad range of interests).  My major is a very
new one called Interarts and Technology.  Basically, I am learning about
and producing computer animation, video, electronic music, dance, and
theatre/performance arts.  It is a "choose your own path" major in the
sense that one can concentrate in any of the above.  I am concentrating in
video.  Anyway, on to the questions:

        What are some resources (books, magazines, etc.)  that would be useful?

        What do you see as being the future of the two genres (art and
documentary)?

        Where are some good graduate schools for video/film production or
theory/criticism?

        How smart would it for me to make an investment in video equipment,
considering obsolesence, cost, etc.?  Or should I rely on rentals and
Public Access cable equipment?

        Finally, anything else anyone would like to throw at me would be
gratefully appreciated.

Please send replies/comments to my email address, listed below, and/or to
the listserv, if you want to share the knowledge.

        Thanks,

Brian J. Mangin                                                 (608)-251-2632
543 W. Doty St. #2
Madison, WI  53703