SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Arnt Maasø <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:51:05 +0100
Dear list members,
Yesterday the live-episode of E.R. aired here in Norway. Being fairly
stunned by the technical wizardry of the episode, I wonder: was it *really*
recorded and transmitted live -- or was it recorded live (with for instance
some "audio sweetening" in post-production), or were for instance some of
the live (diegetic) music pre-recorded? (e.g. the patient drumming, with
some synth/bass mixed in), or was it perhaps transmitted 'semi-live', for
instance my some kind of "flying start" system, giving some seconds/minutes
of time lag to fix details? (I heard that the whole show was taped in
advance "just in case", so I guess it would be possible to insert things
from this version, if something went wrong).

If anyone has more details on the techical aspect of this episode, or know
where I can find it, I would be very grateful.

kind regards,
Arnt Maaso

Arnt Maasų, Research Fellow

Department of Media and Communication
University of Oslo, Faculty of Arts

Blindernveien 11
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern, 0317 Oslo, Norway
Telephone: +47 22 85 04 19 Telefax: +47 22 85 04 01
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.media.uio.no/personer/arntm/english.html
and: http://www.media.uio.no/ansatte/ansatteE.shtml#Maaso

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite