SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

From:
Klaus Eder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 1995 15:27:22 CST
>From:    David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I propose the following meta-message for 'foreign film':
>
>'Foreign film' is a film genre that presents the world and local
>views of diverse foreign societies, as seen through the eyes, lan-
>guages and personal histories of its authors.
>
>This is the main appeal and selling point for foreign-language films
>*as a genre*.

1. A film is a film. An English film is a film. A French film is a
film. Maybe a good, interesting, bad, boring film - but a film.
No need to declare those exotic films from outside the U.S. to
a genre.

2. What about U.S. films in Germany or Italy?: "A film genre that
presents the world and local views of American society"?

Your 'meta-message' sound like a discrimination to me.

Klaus

Klaus Eder