SCREEN-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
John Dougill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:28:46 +0900
Since copyright is being questioned, I too would like to pose a query.

I am trying to obtain copyright from Miramax to reproduce their publicity
photograph for Iris but am having difficulty getting them to respond.
Probably my puny self-published work does not warrant their attention.  So I
wonder if I do everything I can to ask for permission and it is not denied,
than am I legally able to reproduce?  One sees for example instances where
publishers state that they have been unable to obtain copyright for certain
images and invite the owners to contact them.

Would anyone know the legal situation concerning this?

(This is probably irrelevant, but since it is a publicity photograph, one
might presume that use would serve its cause of generating further
publicity.)

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite