SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:41:30 CST
The following part of your post intrigue me, Gene.  In what way
was Langlois the enemy of "academics and critics"?

I always thought that he did a great deal to nurture the young
critics-who-really-wanted-to-be-directors (Godard, Truffaut, et al.)
that eventually became the New Wave.

And did he not get along with film academics?  How so?

Just wondering...

--Jeremy

Langlois believed with all his heart that every film must be preserved and be
seen. He was the enemy of bureaucrats, academics and critics, although he
co-existed with and often admired all three. He built the world's greatest