SCREEN-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Imre Szeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 14:38:14 -0400
I just want to confirm Jessica Rosner's suspicions on the basis of my own
limited experience with this matter. I have had to retool a critical
documentary that a friend and I are planning on certain aspects of
Hollywood film due to legal issues arising from the use of stills and
film clips. The intellectual property lawyer that we have been consulting
with suggested that while it is likely that the use of stills, etc.,
falls under fair use, definitions of fair use with respect to film images
have not been legally tested -- at least not in Canada (this may be
different in the U.S.). After
hearing this, our initial producer wanted nothing to do with our film.
And, alas, since neither of us have deep enough pockets to take on the
studios even in a winning cause (though their is nothing to ensure this),
we are stuck until we get more info on legal definitions, recent changes,
etc.
Imre Szeman