SCREEN-L Archives

April 2016, Week 1

From:
Cynthia Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2016 14:14:39 +0000
2016 Film & History Conference: “Gods and Heretics”
October 26-30, 2016
The Hilton Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI (USA)

DEADLINE for abstracts:  June 1, 2016
Visit www.filmandhistory.org for area CFPs and further information

We are honored to announce that member of the Black Writers Hall of Fame and Grammy-winning screenwriter, poet, novelist, playwright, journalist, librettist, critic, and scholar Thulani Davis will present the keynote at our 2016 conference.

Dr. Davis is a multidisciplinary author and artist whose work includes the memoir My Confederate Kinfolk: A 21st Century Freedwoman Discovers Her Roots; novels Maker of Saints and 1959; poetry collections Playing the Changes and All the Renegade Ghosts Rise; plays The Souls of Black Folk and Everybody's Ruby; libretti for X: The Life and Times of Malcolm X and Amistad, An Opera; as well as articles in The New York Times, The Village Voice, Ms, The Nation, and Black Quarterly Review.

She is the first female recipient of a Grammy for Best Album Notes on Aretha Franklin's Queen of Soul - The Atlantic Recordings. She is also the recipient of the Paul Robeson Cultural Democracy Award, a Legacy Award from the New York Coalition of One Hundred Black Women, a Chicago Humanities Festival Award, and many others.

***

A full listing of our topic areas with individual calls for papers may be found on our website <www.filmandhistory.org>, along with additional conference information.  Please contact the conference coordinator, Cynthia J. Miller, at [log in to unmask] with questions.