SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
William A Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 16:20:53 EDT
Thanks to all who responded to my request regarding films and
disabilities.  On the subject of scarcity, I don't consider 25 films
featuring disabled characters to be very many in relation to all the
films available.  Think how many more films examine gender or race
relations in comparison.  Also, the films that most know of that feature
disabled characters center around their struggles with their
disabilities.  There are little, if any, films that feature disabled
characters simply living their lives along with the rest of society.
Just like other minorities, we disabled people are here in society, but
are drastically underrepresented in film.  Any comments?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite