SCREEN-L Archives

February 1993

Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1993 17:17:46 -0500
kjf,
Thank you for your comment, your point is well taken.  However, I was not
trying to imply that journalists simply give up because of the impossibility
of total objectivity, but that they stop using the ideal of objectivity as
a smokescreen to disguise their bias or the bias  of their employer.  This
only creates an illusion of truth which is then sent out to hundreds of
thousands of people who accept it as absolute.  That is where the danger lies,
 unless you  happen to be a major stockholder in GE.  Striving for something
in  the future is very different that possessing something now.  People
are striving for peace on earth, but they are  not pretending to have it now.
             >Billy
ps  I am addressing more electronic newsgathering as opposed to the ongoing
        discssion about docmentaries (I'm still thinking about that one)