SCREEN-L Archives

September 1996, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Jennifer Senft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:37:17 -0400
>I also have question of standard layout of scripts for submission to a
>script festival.  I do script translations from to English and many of
>the scripts go to international festivals.  The standard in Chile has
>been total justification with dialogue using a hanging indent and
>bolded.  In books I have  I've seen scene identification centered and
>character named above with dialogue having a left and right indent.
>I've also seen books presented with the dialogue having a hanging indent
>scene indentification centered and italized with movement and
>description justified.

I used to read scripts for a Hollywood producer.  It's been about 5 years
and I know that the standard format does change periodically.  But when I
was reading (and learning to write them in film school):

Dialoge was indented from both left and right, with the character's name
centered above it.  Nothing else was indented.  Scenes were identified on
the left and capitalized, eg.:

INT. PARLOR - DAY

The scene description came below this, following a double space,  nothing
indented, nothing bold, as I just did with this description.

It was also becoming standard not to include every "Cut to:"  These are
viewed as directors' decisions.

I did see "continued" at the bottom of the page, when a character's dialogue
was cut off at the page bottom and continued onto the next.  I'm sure this
can be handled just by typing "continued" right under the dialogue.   In
looking over an old script just now, I noticed that this only occurs when
absolutely necessary.  It seems preferable to end the page a few lines early
in order to start dialogue at the top of the next page rather than to use
'continued.'

Hope I've helped,

Jennifer

Jennifer Senft, M.A.                 [log in to unmask]

Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty