SCREEN-L Archives

September 2007, Week 3

From:
Jennifer Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:00:07 -0600
Hi everyone,

I apologize for posting a question to the list that is not about thematic or
subject concerns, but is more procedural.

I've just been hired as a new assistant professor at an engineering/applied
science school to teach film and communication classes (my degree is in
cultural studies with an emphasis in media studies).  I'm in a small liberal
arts and international studies division and so, in essence, I am "the" film
person, "the" communications person.  As a result, I've been asked to
prepare a "Professional Growth Plan" that lays out how tenure decisions are
made in these fields.

I realize that tenure standards vary wildly across institutions and fields,
but was hoping some of you might be willing to weigh in with advice or,
preferably, with anecdotal evidence about how these things work for you (or
"friends" of yours :-)).  I also know there are wide ranging discussions
occuring in academe about the "tyranny of the monograph" and the "collapse"
of the academic publishing industry, but was interested in what's happening
in film studies on the ground, so to speak.

So, is the book still the gold standard?  Book plus articles?  Articles in
peer-reviewed journals?  How are co-authored articles treated?  How are
journals evaluated?  Do you have to be concerned with citation indices?

If you're able to share your experiences with the list on this matter, or
would like to email me directly, I'd be very appreciative.  Thanks in
advance for your help,

Jen

Jen Schneider, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Liberal Arts and International Studies

Coordinator, Nature and Human Values

Colorado School of Mines

Stratton Hall 406, 1005 14th St.

Golden, CO  80401