SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:42:54 -0600
This diverges from music in trailers as such, but I just saw MY BEST FRIEND'S
WEDDING and--at the risk of creating a SPOILER--wanted to point out that
the bathroom encounter between Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz that was shown
in the trailers is different in staging and tone from the actual scene in
the film.

Not the first (or last) time this has been done, I know, but it seems to me
a more significant departure between a trailer and a film than the musical
score as such.

Since the trailers gave away so much of the movie (a fairly common practice
these days), I actually found myself pleasantly surprised by the change since
it was one of the few elements in the film that hadn't been handed to me
already!

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)