SCREEN-L Archives

February 1992

Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1992 20:55:30 PST
Helio Augusto Godoy writes (in part)

>               I would like to develop my knowledges on documentary film
> making on environmental issues. I need to study in an other country, there
> isn't a good course in Brazil. But my University and The CNpQ and CAPES
>  -the brazilian agencies that fund the international studies- DO NOT ACCEPT
> MFA like a terminal degree. It is a nonsense!!!

Yes, it is a nonsense. For what it's worth, Stanford has offered a terminal
degree in documentary film and video production for many years. It is
quite separate from the doctoral program, uses different admissions criteria...
although no less rigorous ones...and trains documentary makers.

There will be a meeting of FEISAL, the Latin American Association of Film
and Television Schools in Sao Paolo in August, and I will probably attend
representing CILECT/TDC, the training for developing countries instrumentality
of the International Liason Centre of Schools of Cinema and Television. Perhaps
we can meet and discuss strategies for correcting the nonsense.

-Henry Breitrose
 Film and Television Program
 Department of Communication
 Stanford