SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Dan Gribbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:50:48 -0500
I've enjoyed the comments of instructors who use textbooks at one or the
other of the two extremes.  I'd like to put in a plug for showing "Visions
of Light" as early as possible in the semester in an intro. course,
whichever textbook is used.  The enthusiasm of the cinematographers
interviewed in that documentary for a wide variety of films and genres
helps to establish a basis in the course for appreciating film classics as
well as more accessible recent material.  I'm always floored by how few of
the students have seen even a popular classic such as "Casablanca" (and, on
the other hand, how many have seen "Gone with the Wind").  With "Visions of
Light" as background, students have a sense of what elements director and
cinematographer have available in creating a film, a wonderful supplement
to textbook discussions and a genuine catalyst for classroom discussion at
a more sophisticated level than otherwise might have been possible.
Students will quote from those interviews in class throughout the entire
semester.  Dan Gribbin.

  Dan Gribbin  ([log in to unmask])
  Professor of English
  Ferrum College