SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Peter Bergting <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:46:09 CST
Post-Industrialism

Hi there!
I'm writing a paper on the post-industrial movement in music videos, but
there doesn't seem to be a clear definition of what it is. There are quite a
few music-videos that I would say are post-industrial (NIN, FLA etc) and
RE/Search have done their bit to define the subject, but I think that the
term post-industrial needs to be defined in the same way that post-modern is.
I have a few ideas about how to define post-industrialism but as I said there
isn't really that much to work with. To define a movie or music video as
post-industrial, I would say that it had to incorporate at least 4 out of 5
of these points.

* A Movie or Musicvideo that incorporates the general idea of the underground
filmmakers of the 40s-60s, (eg Burroughs, Deren, Anger ect) of
non-commersialism. E g it's not supposed to sell the product.

* The Movie or Music video should also be constructed in such a way that it
resembles the look and feel of the aforementioned filmmakers (eg. using
different film formats, distorted images, jump-cutting, disassembling of the
video etc).

* It should be provocative in some way, using either language, sound or
images to disturb the viewer or to try and "wake them up".

*Apart from other themes it should draw heavily on mythology, science,
technology and psychopathology (as stated in RE/Search).

* It should also, in contrast with post-modernism have a message, preferably
one that criticizes the media in some way. How it does this is another
question.

Is there anyone out there who has written anything on the subject or possibly
read something about it. Please get in touch with me or the list. All help
will be dearly appreciated!