SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 2

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:03:51 +0100
>Jeff MacIntyre asks:

>Is there any better book-length study of American culture and film
>--particularly in a similar, "cultural studies" vein-- than Robert
>Sklar's revised *Movie-made America*?

        Robert Stam and Ella Shohat's *Unthinking Eurocentrism.*  They only
text on film you'll ever need to read.   On any culture. :-)

        Gloria Monti

gloria monti
american studies program, yale university
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~godard/index.html

in germany they first came for the communists, and i didn't speak up
because i wasn't a communist.  then they came for the jews, and i didn't
speak up because i wasn't a jew.  then they came for the trade unionists,
and i didn't speak up because i wasn't a trade unionist.  then they came
for the catholics, and i didn't speak up because i was a protestant.  then
they came for me -- and by that time no one was left to speak up.

pastor martin niemoller