SCREEN-L Archives

January 2004, Week 4

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:34:36 -0600
Trying looking for interviews with such directors as Welles and Hitchcock (especially the books with Peter Bogdanovich and Francois Truffaut, respectively).  See various works by Andrew Sarris, especially his 1967 book, INTERVIEWS WITH FILM DIRECTORS.  Bogdanovich's various print and film interviews with other directors could also be useful.  You should be able to find plenty of interviews with other directors, but you'll probably have the most luck with directors from the mid-1960s on, when Auteurism was just becoming a widespread critical controversy in the US.  For foreign films, look especially at the collections of articles from Cahiers du cinema, *until* the late 1960s.  For more contemporary and foreign directors, also see FILMMAKERS ON FILMMAKING (Faber & Faber 1995).  The British Film Institutes has an interesting list at
http://www.bfi.org.uk/nationallibrary/collections/16+/auteur/

One of the more famous expressions of film-as-writing was Alexandre Astruc's notion of the "camera-stylo."  You might find this website interesting:
http://www.camerastylo.com/aboutme.htm

Don Larsson
Donald F. Larsson
Department of English