SCREEN-L Archives

March 1992

Sender:
From:
"Bert Deivert - Svenska-Filmvet. - HiK" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1992 11:50:31 +0100
I was just wondering if Kieslowski and his films are known outside of Europe?
Swedish TV is now showing all 10 of the Decalogue series that was made for
Polish television.  I saw the first one last night.  Great.  The ten command-
ments as a film series.  Interesting concept.  They showed a French documentary
about Kieslowski making "Veronique" on tv the other night as a prelude to the
Decalogue series and he said some very interesting things.  He was originally
into making documentaries but felt that the private spaces that people have are
the most interesting parts of their lives.  He wishes to portray these things
now with actors, because he feels that it is not possible to get that close
to people in a documentary and still show it as it really is.  When the camera
is present than reality is altered.  Instead he wants to portray real feelings
with artificial means_ actors, glyceringe tears, color shifts, etc.  He had
some very good things to say about life, philosophy, and people.
Maybe the US audience will get it on PBS.  I am sure it will be shown in most
of Europe.

Bert Deivert        University of Karlstad, Sweden        Film Studies
Internet:  [log in to unmask]