SCREEN-L Archives

March 1993

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1993 21:33:14 -0500
I am reminded of the bruhaha around "The Color Purple" --namely that
it was offensive in one quarter, yet not nominated for an Oscars at the
Academy Awards....

Someone mentioned (in another conference?) that Jaye Davidson is the
first cross-dresser to be 'honored' with a nomination.  Remeber
"Year of Living Dangerously"?  Linda Hunt won an award for best supporting
actress for her role as a male (dwarf).

Perhaps we are so eager to reward that which is seemingly well done,
but in reality is new/rare/fresh only to the textbook of exposure in
our $-driven cinema.  This type of story telling is not new -- just
new to our Western eyes...

Robert Johnson, Jr.