SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:40:27 -0500
Paul Jennings wonders:

> I am woundering if any one can help me - i need to find out information
> about the changing ideas of the old 40s noir femme fatals compared to the
> femme fatals of neo-noir film - if you or any one you know has any
> information on this i would appreciate an e-mail

A key work is WOMEN IN FILM NOIR, ed. E. Ann Kaplan (BFI, 1980).  You
might also want to look at the more recent edition of Molly Haskell's
FROM REVERENCE TO RAPE.  There's been quite a bit of feminist
commentary on re-interpretations of the "spider woman" over the last
couple of decades.  These are just two possible starting places.

Don Larsson