SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:54:01 CST
Earlier today I posted to this group, Re:John Williams,Bruce Springsteen,
Neil Young, Michael Nyman

>As I was catching up on the Sunday New York Times --merely 30 January 1994
>(that's right, 94 NOT 95),in the Arts etc section, page 28, I found an
>interesting, brief article about the above people --by Stephen Holden who
>is also a film critic for the NYT.
>
>You may wish to check it out.

================================
Here is my own follow-up:

Having reached the Arts & Leisure Section of the Sunday NYTimes of April
24, 1994 (yes, 1994), on p. 22 I found an article by Ann Hornaday on the
documentary "High Lonesome: The Story of Bluegrass Music" written &
directed by Rachel Liebling.

I believe that it is in this group that questions have popped up re: this
documentary.

This brings me to something crucial. When and how will we be able to post
not simply our own messages and elucubrations, but *printed items" of
(possible) interest to a few or to many peope or groups. Until then, the
Net, amazing though it is,  will still be lame.

One answer, I suppose, is to scan the article and then send it. But this
seems to involve expensive equipment, bulky machines, and a fairly long
process. It is also (I am told) not that quick and easy to scan a newspaper
page. Hand scanners might be simpler, but then, according to my
betters--though not necessarily elders-- those gizmos don't work well.

I wonder what the whiz-kids (and adults) among us have to say to all this.
And since this might be of interest to persons in a plethora of groups, no
matter what their specialty, I will post this message to more than one
group.

Edwin Jahiel, Cinema Studies, University of Illinois

" Le mauvais gout mene au crime" (Stendhal)