SCREEN-L Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Effie Rassos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:04:11 +1000
(Apologies for cross-posting)

School of Theatre, Film and Dance, University of New South Wales and the
School of Humanities, University of Western Sydney

Postgraduate Symposium, October 2002

Call for Papers

NEW DIRECTIONS IN FILM THEORY: CONSIDERING DELEUZE

The impact of Gilles Deleuze on the discipline of film studies, in relation
to _Cinema 1_ and _Cinema 2_ as well as his work more broadly, is
undeniable. Whether his ideas are embraced or problematized (and
consequently rejected), Deleuze's work has not only demanded a
reconsideration of the medium and the experience of film but it has
likewise forced a reexamination of the way we think about and theorise film.

The purpose of this two-day symposium is to consider the way Deleuze's work
has been taken up by film theory and film studies, particularly in
postgraduate work on the cinema. This symposium seeks to reflect on Deleuze
in two key ways: firstly, to examine Deleuze's engagement with film theory
in the cinema books and the way film theorists such as Sergei Eisenstein,
André Bazin and Bela Balázs influenced his thinking about the cinema;  and
secondly, to historicize Deleuze's project in order to analyze the way his
ideas are influencing current debates in film theory, as well as the way
his work provides the means for thinking through a variety of film
practices. In light of these two aims, we welcome papers that utilize
Deleuze in order to think through the possibilites (both practical and
theoretical) for feminist film theory, documentary, contemporary film,
queer film, representations of race, national cinemas  etc.

We invite papers of no more than forty minutes in length. Proposals of
approximately 300 words should be sent to Teresa Rizzo, Julie Gray or Effie
Rassos ([log in to unmask]) by 15th May 2002. Additionally,
we are currently negotiating with an online journal about the possibility
of publishing the proceedings from the symposium.

The dates of the symposium are yet to be confirmed. A subsequent call for
papers, detailing dates, venue, keynote speaker and registration fee will
be issued soon.

Effie Rassos, Teresa Rizzo(School of Theatre, Film and Dance, UNSW) and
Julie Gray (School of Humanities, UWS).