SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
jennifer evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:19:09 PDT
Questions and Concerns on the V-chip or the Program editor

How is the Program Editor (which blanks out pre-selected programs) going
to be better than the V-Chip.

And if it is how going to be better, how is the Program editor going to
work?

I don t know much about the program editor so if I could get some more
incite to how this is going to be better please send me some information
on it.

I don t see how the V-chip will lead to more sex and violence on t.v.,
which Congress Thomas Bliley (VA-Rep.) stated, this was printed in a AP
release.  I would also like more information on this too.

Also if the parents don t share the code for programming the V-chip with
their children then I don t see how they can deprogram this device,
unless of course the child is a computer whiz.  Which was also in the
Washington AP release.

Depending on how parents choose to censor what their children what than
maybe the V-chip is not the way to go.  And if the program editor is so
much better than maybe it is the way networks need to go.  This way you
don t block out the whole channel you only block our the shows w/ the
bad ratings.

I watch TV often so I don t find that some of the shows do have too much
violence, language, and sex on them.  Like take for instance the high
controversial show "NYPD Blue".   It has a lot of everything on it, but
I like it and yet if I had children, there is no way I would let them
watch it.  So instead of blocking the whole channel with the V-chip use
a locking system to lock that program out. Because if you do lock that
specific channel out you are also maybe locking out educational programs
as well.  Or even the Saturday morning cartoons that come on.   I know
when I was little the cartoons came in real handy for my mother if she
ever wanted to clean house we were out of the way.

What is your reaction or incite to these thoughts and statements.