SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 5

From:
Harry Kirchner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 10:22:57 +1000
If anyone has any information on the following, I would be very grateful.

* archiving policies (if any), of studios or major production companies on
marked up scripts

*  any theses, papers  or articles (published or unpublished) on marked up
scripts

* any public or private libraries (institutes etc.) which might have a
collections  of  marked up scripts

By "marked up  scripts", I am referring to the copy of the script which is
marked up (slate, number of takes and shot type) by the continuity person
on set  at the time of filming, and is later  used by the editor in the
cutting room. At the end of production, it is normal practice to  file away
the marked up script with the editor's materials - trims etc.  This is my
understanding at least. Nevertheless, I'd be very interested to hear from
any professional editors (especially those who have worked on productions -
in *any* country), as to their own understanding of what happens (or has
happened) to the marked up script once they have finished with it.
Harry Kirchner
LaTrobe University Australia
tel: +61 3 9489 1552 (h)
tel: +61 3 9479 3512 (w)
fax: +61 3 9479 3638 (fax)

www.latrobe.edu.au/www/screeningthepast/
an electronic journal of visual media & history

www.latrobe.edu.au/www/artmedia/screenoz.html
a new screenwriting book