SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

Sender:
From:
Ara Rubyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 14:05:10 EDT
       While the script is bad on story and clarity, it does provide some
gems
in the dialogue department.
Recently Lee Elliot wrote favorably about The Shadow, quoting the following
dialogue:
Kahn: "I will succeed"
Shadow: "You know, of course, I going to stop you."
Kahn: "You Americans, you're all so arrogant.  You think this decadent,
ill-informed society you've made is the high point of civilization..."
Shadow: "Hey!  You're talking about the U S of A now."
        Kahn and the Shadow have several good exchanges.  Any movie in which
Alec Baldwin says "I'm psychically well-endowed" can't be all bad.

Check out Buckaroo Banzai (1984, with Peter Weller, Ellen Barkin, John
Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum) for a superhero movie with similar
panache, and tongue-in-cheek self-referential style.