SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 2

From:
Marcella Hain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:30:26 CDT
Hello,
I need some guidance about film schools.
First off,
I'd like to talk with any one who recently attended or is currently
attending FSU.
I want to find out how much tuition is per semester at FSU, why they seem
to be the only film school around that picks up production costs, and
how much independent work one is allowed to do there.
I have become very discouraged in my search for a film school. BU and
Northwestern run close to $10,000 per semester, and that doesn't evend
include film.
I'd like to learn elements of production, but I also want to attend film
school to make contacts.  Right now I'm considering finding a state
school where at least after I've been a resident for a year I can get
state tuition, a place like UTexas at Austin.

I know not every director has attended film school.  Some people have
advised me to sign on somewhere as a PA, but right now I don't know how
to go about doing even that. I'm looking into it, plus a city I can
relocate to where there are a cluster of independent movie companies.

Any comments or leads to these questions would be appreciated!