SCREEN-L Archives

November 2000, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:50:23 -0500
Michael Patrick Hearn, in _The Annotated Wizard of Oz_ second edition,
has finally brought to light that the other two _Violet's Dreams_ shorts
(written and produced by L. Frank Baum) were _The Box of Bandits_ (1915,
based on "The Box of Robbers" (also its working title) from _American
Fairy Tales_) and _In Dreamy Jungleland_ (working title:  _The Jungle_,
1916).  These were fantasy films intended for children.  I have no clue
where Michael got this information, and he thinks my research into Oz
films is suspicious and inaccurate and won't talk to me.  Does anyone
know where he might have found out these titles?  They have never been
named as anything other than unknown "Violet's Dreams" shorts in _The
Baum Bugle_.  He is, of course, known as, an expert on Baum, but since
he also determined release dates for the films, 27 August 1915 and 1
February 1916, I figured someone who researches old films must know
something about these.

Scott

P.S.:  If anyone else is interested in Baum adaptations, _The Life and
Adventures of Santa Claus_ (Mike Young, 2000) was released to video this
week.  It stars Hal Holbrook as The Great Ak, Robby Benson as Claus, and
Dixie Carter as Necile.  _Lion of Oz_ (Tim Deacon, 2000) has also become
readily available, though online sources have had both titles available
for several weeks.