SCREEN-L Archives

October 2020, Week 2

From:
Monika Mehta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2020 15:46:03 -0400
*Sound, Voice, and Language in Decolonial and Planetary Frames
<https://acla.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/2/sessiongallery/169>*

*Co-organizers:  Praseeda Gopinath and Monika Mehta*

*The abstracts are due on October 31, 2020.*

Our panel places postcolonial scholarship in dialogue with sound and
ecocriticism to extend our critical and historical understanding of voice.
Building on the examination of dominant and silenced voices in postcolonial
studies, this seminar considers an epistemic rethinking of voice, language,
and sound in a planetary frame. De-centering humans from postcolonial
projects in this way, enables us to examine post/colonial pasts, presents,
and futures while foregrounding the planet. The seminar will think through
the ways the interdisciplinary paradigm of sound and environmental studies
allows us to attend to relationships between bodies (both human and
non-human) and between bodies and the environment, opening up new ways of
thinking about the body, community, and the self, especially in spaces that
have been marginalized by national and global power. We are interested in
exploring the relationship between sound, voice, the planetary and the
Anthropocene in literature, film, and other media texts.
We invite papers on the following topics:
1) soundscape ecology
2) the relationship between human-non-human sounds and voice
3) voice and sound in climate resistance
4) imagining the sonic planetary subject
5) sound and bodies (human and non-human)
6) sonic communities and the natural world
7) rethinking “the natural” through sound
8) intersections of de/postcolonial studies and ecological studies
9) decolonial literacies, languages, and sounds

To apply for the seminar, please follow the ACLA instructions below.  You
will need to submit the abstract on the ACLA website for it to be
considered for the seminar.  If you have questions related to the seminar,
please contact Praseeda Gopinath  <[log in to unmask]> or me (Monika
Mehta [log in to unmask]).  The abstracts are due on October 31, 2020.

*ACLA submission instructions.*

1.) You can reach the virtual conference platform on the following page by
clicking the button reading "Access Virtual Conference Platform":
https://www.acla.org/annual-meeting

2.) You will be prompted to log in using your ACLA account information. If
you do not currently have an account you will be able to create one at that
time.

3.) After logging in you will reach the Home page for the ACLA 2021
conference shown in the screenshot below. All conference information is
displayed on this page. In order to view the seminars, click the menu for
"View Seminars" at the top of the screen.

4.) You can scroll through the seminars or use the keyword search tool on
the right side of the screen to find a particular seminar. Once you are
ready to apply, click the button beneath the seminar title reading "Apply
to this Seminar" (see screenshot below). Follow the steps to submit your
paper abstract.

Abstracts must be received by 11:59pm EST on Saturday, October 31st, 2020.

Current ACLA guidelines specify that each ACLA member may submit only ONE
PAPER to ONE SEMINAR for consideration for the 2021 Annual Meeting.

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html