SCREEN-L Archives

April 2009, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Phil Powrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:59:55 +0100
1. Journal 9i

2. Dante and French cinema

1. Journal 9i

Volume 9 issue 1 of the journal has just been published. It contains the
following articles:

Jennie Cousins, Mechanised corsetry: Annenkov, Ophüls and /La Ronde/ (1950)

Fiona Handyside, Rohmer à la plage: The Role of the Beach in Three Films
by Eric Rohmer

Charles O’Brien/, //Sous les toits de Paris/ and Transnational Film
Style: An Analysis of Film Editing Statistics

Gregg Redner, Deleuzian Sensation and Maurice Jaubert’s Score for
/L’Atalante /(Vigo, 1934)

Ben Tyrer, Digression and Return: Aesthetics and Politics in Agnès
Varda’s /Les Glaneurs et la glaneuse/ (2000)

James S. Williams, His Life to Film: The Extreme Art of Jacques Nolot

2. Dante and French cinema

Dear colleagues

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone interested in giving a paper about the presence of Dante in modern/contemporary French cinema at a conference I'm helping to organise in Leeds next spring - 26-27 March 2010 - on the reception of Dante in France. The conference, like the volume of articles we expect to publish subsequently, aims to cover the broadest possible chronological span, from the fourteenth century to the present day, and seeks to address Dante's reception in a variety of domains, including literature, the visual arts and popular culture. Films like Kieslowski's 'La double vie de Véronique', Bonitzer's 'Petites coupures' and Godard's 'Notre musique' all suggest that Dante is a presence in recent French cinema in a variety of senses, and I'm sure there must be other films worth considering too. Please email me directly ([log in to unmask]) if you'd like to propose a paper or if you have any suggestions to make.

Thanks and best wishes

Russell Goulbourne

Professor Russell Goulbourne
Head of the Department of French