SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

From:
"Tonelli, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 16:00:50 CST

Richard--

NYC has so many film schools, the biggest (most expensive) ones are,
of course, NYU and Columbia.  Non-university related programs
include Tribeca Film School, Film/Video Arts, etc. etc. (there are
new ones popping up every day).  One little known undergraduate film
program is at Hunter College, The City University of New York.

Because it's part of the City University system the tuition is
quite reasonable (I think about $1,200 a semester for city residents).
It's an incredibly underfunded program, although they recently purchased
brand new equipment cameras and post-production equipment (16mm)
and are in the process of relocating the department to nicer facilities.

When I attended the school, between 1987-1990, the thing that most
attracted me (and enhanced my education) was the demographic
make-up of the student body.  Students at Hunter tend to be a little
older (I think the average age of students in the college is 26;
the film program's students might even be a little older than that),
and tend to be mostly immigrants.  The diversity and maturity of the
students makes for incredibly lively discussions and kick-ass films.

I continue to be closely involved with the film school and students,
assisting with their first efforts to promote their work via student-
organized film festivals, etc., and would be glad to tell you more
about Hunter (and the other City University film programs-- there's
one at City College and another at Brooklyn).

Melissa Cahill Tonelli

Hi-

I am seeking referrals to/ references on filmmaking program
(university and non-university affiliated) in the New York City area.

There's a private outfit (I don't recall the name ..)  that advertises an
intensive course in filmmaking (tuition: $4000) on Premier Magazine.  I'd
also
appreciate any feedbacks on the quality of this program specifically.

Thanks very much,

Richard